Mind Mapping - the NEWS (slowly - work in process)

Friday, September 27, 2013

NEWS Dissociative Identity Disorder/Multiple Personality Disorder Week of September 16, 2013 Both Slide Sets #1 & #2

    • i would like to make a system map in order to start really trying to make sense of things and maybe achieve some kind of order; i feel very out of control and confused right now and it's not getting easier, i don't know if i'm approaching some kind of harder switch but that's the feeling i get, that or parts are trying to emerge...
    • does anyone have any advice on where to start and what kind of structure might be useful? i would appreciate any advice at all on how to go about this.
    • What happened to everyone i remember on here? Are they all well now? I hope so. Tomboy was usually the first one to answer me. I'm wondering how she is doing now and lifelongthing and everyone else too.
    • one guy makes a topic about scitzo's *which 90% of this site has*it automatically entitles you to make a post picking on him?grow the hell up.---you are not "official" anything of any board grow up. RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
    • Doesn't make sense even. I have a friend with multiple personality something disorder (his words, his psychiatrists change the third word every week apparently ) and his other personality isn't a gamer.
    • Either you're lying, your friend is lying, or your friend is seeing a very, very bad psychiatrist. There's no such thing as 'multiple personality ____ disorder'. What people commonly refer to as 'multiple personality disorder' is actually called 'dissociative identity disorder', and is one of the most over-diagnosed mental disorders in the country.
    • The funniest thing about the schizophrenia thread was how so many people in it had it (relatively speaking), or knew someone that had it, or multiple people that had it, even though only 1% of the population has it. Well, the number of people that have DID is between .01% and 1% of the population. Just a couple posts into this joke thread we already have someone with a friend that has it. A statistical phenomenon!
    • Eve: It's been a long time now. I feel like this system became Desiria's system. Except well there are only like 9 alters I think.
    • The "good" ones are inactive. Only us, the "bad" ones. *sigh* Let me introduce all of us.
    • Eve: I used to be a neutral-ish alter. I think because of being neutral by force (I don't know how to explain it) I separated and then there are David and Mystery. David, 16, control anger and Mystery, 24, control rage (Like when he triggered or angry, he'll destroys $#%^ ). But now I've integrated back to myself again. And due to Rana's inactivity, means she's SUPPOSE to be responsible for us but she's NOT, I became an admin.
    • Eve: So yeah, that's all about all of us. I think meds doesn't work now because Kevin and I love drugs now.
    • Do other people with DID have unreasonable amounts of pain and/or fatigue?
    • I am 25 years old and I can barely do anything at all. I'm scared of doctors cause they just label me crazy and send me to the shrink even though I am in pain. I am labeled with fibromyalgia, psychogenic asthma, migraines and probably conversion disorder so whenever I'm in pain it has to be something mental I guess cause I'm crazy. I was labeled fibro by the same doc who ignored my acute kidney infectionwhich could have killed me, he was abusive he even hit me in my kidney and I didn't realize until about 3 months after the fact.
    • I wish to be reinspected but since I have such bad memory and get really confused all the time I'm scared that they will still think it's all in my head. But even if I would have fibro and conversion, it can't be possible that this is so debilitating that I can't do anything at all anymore? Can it? Do other people with DID have so much physical pain that it reduces their life to almost none?
    • It has been a great day, I watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower with a friend of mine, we played cards and then he followed me to the bus when I was going home. He hugged me and it was great, as I said he followed me, because it was dark outside and I think that's a bit scary. We had such a good time. :)
    • started talking to oldest friend today; he sent a message asking if things were ok, told him i am not good at the minute, the headteacher is looking after my child cause i am not able to care for her right now. started talking about things...
    • before i got to explaining about DID he said it sounds like a split personality, then went ahead and told me he had thought for a very very long time that he has thought something like that is going on but never knew how to bring it up!
    • he is my oldest friend and i feel like it's a massive confirmation for me, it is a bit overwhelming, we have been talking about it for a few hours now... i am feeling very tired and drained but i finally really feel like i might not just making things up.
    • We have a mental health reveiw on Wednesday. Is there any trips on how to get though it. It was the type of thing that Anastasia goes to but she is still to upset to go so it is up to me. Do I just act like Anastasia and hope they think I am her or do I go as myself and let know that I'm the new host? I'm scared. :? :cry: ~Jessica
    • I was wondering if someone with DID loses time only later in his life and never lost time earlier.
    • Lets assume someone 100% never lost time earlier nor it happened and he doesn't know.Let's say for example someone lived with their abuser for after the age of 20. He was abused as a child then abuse stopped but he was still living with the abuser for a long time as an adult and he fears him till date as he is aggressive.
    • Is it possible in this case that there have been always 1 ANP and then later in life other surface and time loss occur?
    • From what I've heard around the forum (and what I may or may not be experiencing myself; I do not have a dx), a large number of DID voices are not heard audibly. These types of voices are recognizable as thoughts, but they may use a different pitch and tone than what your thoughts generally "sound" like.
    • Auditory hallucinations are perceived as actual outside noises. Some people with DID have these, where they hear their alters speaking to them as if they are outside (or inside) their bodies. This is also the type of voice that schizophrenics hear. This type of voice can be mistaken as coming from the environment, and can be rather unnerving if you keep hearing someone talk to you when no one is there!
    • I'm glad to hear things are working out with the new T, and I'm really glad to hear that you're able to ask the questions you need to ask to feel safe with this new T.
    • I hope that things are going well for y'all.
    • I found a therapist in my area that works in a sliding scale. She also said she has some experience with dissociative disorders. She wanted to know what I am looking for in a therapist. I sent the following.
    • I am 47 years old and have always said I do not remember my childhood. It has become apparent over the last few years that there are huge gaps in my adult memory as well. Most of my memory seems to fade away, however there are times most days when it would seem that I have either completely missed events or my mind put something else in its place. I "zone out" frequently and the world gets foggy, distant or surreal.
    • If I am to believe what I have been told, there are 30 of us in here. I'm not sure whether my husband and children actually believe, but my son says he has seen 6-8 different  "personality states" and my husband says he has seen 14 of me. My daughter says "no one believes you have DID".
    • I wrote to the Pottergate Centre for Dissociation & Trauma and took the DES and SDQ20. They said it is clear that I show significant symptoms and I am likely to have a dissociative disorder. I have taken the SCID-D and have scored from 45-78 (as best as I can remember), depending on when it was taken. On the flip side of this is denial. Am I making it up? Am I giving in to normal human emotions? Am I giving in to my normal internal child? Are the intrusive thoughts my own?
    • My biggest fears are that I currently remember a few really bad things, what happens when I remember what my mind is protecting me from? I've only had a few flashbacks so far and they have been very tame memories, a few were even good memories.  I can't continue to go through life wonderding what happened.
    • What do you guys think? Did I say it right?
    • My therapist suggested integration but I'm terrified of it. I'm afraid it's going to kill my internal family. I don't believe her when she tells me its not. this is the only life I've ever known and I'm afraid of being without them.
    • I will feel better hearing it from someone who have been integrated. how has it affected you? is it a better way of living?
    • Do outsiders treat you better once you were integrated? if my internal world is erased then where do I go when I need to escape to safety? Who will protect me?
    • I'm really afraid and I don't want to return to therapy until I get more information about it. I'm afraid she will hypnotize me and kill them while I'm hypnotized. Please help me.
    • I think my whole team is a muddle, I've been in the mental health system for years now, march 2012 a rotational outpatient psychiatrist (one of the few good ones) asked a lot of questions and also spoke with my mother about my past, this was all after husband and i started reporting personality changes, time loss etc. a year a bit later I've had consultation sessions with a psychotherapist who has put me forward for psychotherapy after I told him I think I have DID, my care co ordination is understanding and our family therapists have seen different personalities; these people speak of DID openly, everyone else not so
    • The new psychiatrist I don't think has even bothered reading the notes and has not mentioned DID and neither did the last one although when I asked a question she said the psychotherapy can help with the dissociation ...but still no diagnosis
    • Crisis teams just treat everyone like rubbish but maybe if they knew what was happening maybe would be better or have a better process based on whatMy file says
    • I just don't get why I haven't been diagnosed, is there some process in psychotherapy or is the whole team out of touch with each other; I'm worried because I swing in and outOf denial about DiD and also want to get better and I worry that this messy functioning isn't going to help meWhat are others experiences with diagnosis?Thanks
    • The horses are stabled - all those red-eyed females trapped behind blackened walls of shuddering brick andstone, baring gums towardsbrackish skies, tame anduseless and mute.
    • They are only empty sounds, muffled by solar wind. Ourmonsters are made by thememories of fear, intangibleechoes of ghosts that in thedark loom huge and grotesque, exaggerated by flickering lights.
    • Today I had my first therapy session. I'm surprised how well it went. She didn't seem phased by anything I said, I only told her about two of us and just a couple of examples of how we are different and how I know we are different identities, but the therapist accepted this along with the other symptoms I mentioned.
    • She says we can have 5 sessions and then decide if we want to work together further or not, and if its not working she would help me find another therapist.
    • The only problem was she doesnt speak my native language, so it was a bit frustrating when I couldn't find exactly the right words, but I felt there was still very understanding between us based on this first session, so I'll continue and see how I feel after the first 5 sessions.
    • If she accepts that there at least 2 of us, then that is a good
    • Author Marlene Cheng writes what’s been called an “intelligent and poetic” story of multiple personality disorder. Meaning “abandoned by God,” “The Tuareg Ladies” is an honest, emotional look at what some psychiatrists still consider a questionable diagnosis.
    • “The media is making a great effort to bring awareness to mental illness. To know Tess and how she faces life day-to-day gives a face and an intimacy that can’t help but bring compassion and empathy towards people with any mental illness. People want to know,” says Cheng.
    • Although author Marlene Cheng doesn’t suffer from multiple personality disorder, she spent years researching and working closely with a psychiatrist to fully tell Tess’ story. “The Tuareg Ladies” started as a memoir about Cheng’s own life slowly turned into an awareness piece to pull multiple personality disorder to the forefront of media’s discussion about mental health.
    • Anyone trips on how I can be a better host for the little ones.~Jessica
    • I've been trying to think of some examples from everyday life that could illustrate what D.I.D. is like. I think an 8-track tape might be an example. Suppose you are listening to an 8-track tape and you don't like the song being played. You hit the button and it switches to another track. Another song. The previous track is no longer there but it hasn't been erased. It can be played again later. It's like that.
    • Or, imagine a slide projector. The older type that threw light through a 2x2 image. When it's time to go to another image, just hit the button and a new slide comes into focus.
    • When a small child is in great distress, the child somehow "pushes the button" and a new track starts playing. As we become older, we lose the ability as we leave the realm of being a small child. Most will lose the ability to learn how to dissociate. What can cause enough distress to throw up another partition? Sexual abuse can. Or, physical abuse. The CIA used electric shock. Various types of torture can do it.
    • HiI have got to know a gentleman on another forum who has a D.I.D. diagnosis. One of his alters can be quite angry, and talk about drinkingblood etc. However this is talk not action, and is a reflection of when he is feeling very stressed and poorly.
    • He has been married for a little over a year, and he and his wife were delighted that they were expecting a baby. Sadly, the baby was removed from their care immediately she was was born, on the grounds that my friends condition placed the baby at risk
    • Mum and Dad have separated in the hope that her daughter will be returned to her care.
    • We are trying to encourage my friend to seek help from voluntary sector agencies, but we feel sure that the decision of social services is at least in part due to their total lack of understanding of D.I.D., we are trying to identify other D.I.D parents and other social workers actually positively supporting a D.I.D. family. Can you help at all?
    • Hello.I usually don´t post here, but have been wanting to sometimes.Most often I hang around in the just for fun and PD forums.
    • If somehow then how does DID affect your dreams?What do you usually dream about?I am curious in any insight you can provide.
    • Hi everybody, I don't know if anyone can help me. I've read many of your submissions and haven't found a question like mine, though I will keep looking.
    • My BF and I have been together almost five years until he recently had a major switch, or host change and took all of his things and left. This happened once before but he switched back and came home, and we built a wonderful, respectful relationship and he was stable for a really long time.
    • Now he is gone again. We were close, I thought, though the alter out now isn't fond of me, I guess. Says he doesn't feel anything for me. Can ANYONE relate or give me advice? Thank you so much.
    • **trigger warning for various things including drug use**
    • have had ongoing massive impulse control issues.... i've struggled with addiction on and off since my teens.
    • i was pretty damn adamant about staying clean this time. the last few times i have had a coke binge i've ended it with serious paranoia and the recovery has been increasingly rough. i don't like the way my head feels after; i am tired of it. i really didn't think i would. i don't remember what made me decide to get high this time. i can't really recall the runup to the weekend. i just feel tired and disappointed right now. i guess i can't feel much of anything most of the time, and briefly i get to feel completely in control and present...
    • at some point i was rummaging in the computer desk drawer and found this letter thing that i have no memory of writing. my first interactions with autonomous entities or other states was when i was a teenager and had the psychotic break or whatever it was, and i would trance channel or automatic write messages from what i assumed were higher spirits. occasionally they would take over my body and talk through me although it was usually the writing.
    • there was this one entity that was very different from the others, who called himself seth. at first he had no name, he just came through in this bit of automatic writing with a completely different feel to it. the other channels had been very loving and positive but his was dark and scornful and kinda bombastic.
    • i felt him come into the kitchen through the window, then he moved over and mentally shoved me backwards and just started laying into these guys, lecturing them about behaviours and perception and generally being a smartass. everything he said was scathing but it was concise and absolutely true without equivocation. after that though he started playing mind games with them and trying to scare them, and i felt completely out of control, like i had no control of who was coming forward to speak... it got pretty mental.
    • i started to look into dissociative disorders. can alters have delusions of grandeur? i think he believes or believed he was a god, namely the egyptian god of storms and chaos, hence the name.
    • i felt like he got pretty upset when i started really thinking i might have DID since there was a lot of erratic, aggressive behaviour towards me, and he has felt pretty deflated for a while, which makes me feel like because i no longer really feed into this idea that he actually -is- Set, his ego is bruised.but despite his behaviours i actually feel kind of fond of him and i don't want him to submerge. i like the confidence boost i get when he feels more forwards.
    • well, this thread was only supposed to be about getting high... thanks for reading/responding. 
          
    • Context: I'm going through a divorce; just graduated; no job, stressed; lost interest in hobbies; new interests; new pursuits; new goals; rapid switching.
    • I've been thinking about a name change and I plan to live abroad for a few months or so. I feel confused about who I am and what I want. Whenever I've gotten this way in the past, a new part emerges. Last time was 7 years ago. I was unstable and isolating myself then too. I thought I was reinventing myself like now.
    • When my T asked what my fear was of leaving, I said, "I'm afraid I won't come back." I don't think I meant it literally. I think I am actually afraid of someone living my life for a couple of years again like last time, or even longer.
    • Is there a way to ascertain if this is a new aspect coming out and if so, is there a way to reverse it or make it a smooth transition? It always destroys everything in my life and I have to do damage control.
    • GRAY -- Sitting in a room at the Jones County courthouse, an Atlanta psychologist came face to face with a woman who called herself Caroline and said she had feared for her life but fell short of saying she killed a Henry County businessman.
    • Anthony Levitas testified Wednesday he sat down across the table from a woman resembling Pamela Moss earlier in the day and the woman facing him said “Pam was gone” and identified herself first as Carol and then as Caroline.
    • She said she “heard screaming” on the day of the killing and at one point she “was on the floor and there was a man standing over her with his hand on her arm.” He was holding something that looked like a curtain rod and “she felt threatened,” Levitas testified.
    • Closing arguments in the trial are scheduled to begin Thursday morning. Jurors will then begin deliberating Moss’ fate.
    • One of the previous doctors examined Moss in 1996, the same year her mother was fatally poisoned. Moss pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in her mother’s death and served eight years in prison.
    • Shores said she didn’t have enough information to diagnose Moss as having multiple personalities, but said she saw evidence that Moss knows the difference between right and wrong.
    • After examining records pertaining to Moss’ criminal case and hospital records from when she was admitted for a drug overdose days after the killing, Shores said she found no evidence Moss has had a problem associated with dissociative identity disorder since she stopped receiving treatment in 2003.
    • Shores said she also took into account that Moss has a college degree in psychology and started a master’s degree in psychology. She also worked for a time at a psychology practice and administered IQ tests
    • how should "the other guy" be like??
    • Add an Answer to "If you had a multiple personality disorder, who do you like to be your dual persona?"
    • If someone integrated with another alter that was also an un-integrated multiple themselves, what would happen? This question came up in a conversation and it really got me wondering.
    • Would a person with D.I.D. have an affect like different handwriting?  Also, if a person with D.I.D. Took a polygraph test (lie dectector test) on a thing that happened while in their "other" identity, would it be able to show?
    • For example if their other identity did something, and the real identity took the test about a thing portraying to what the other identity did, would it show that their not lieing that they never did it, if they don't recall any of that? Hope that clears that question up, thanks.
    • I thought about all you said and as ever you are making a lot of sense. When I compare your experience, mine and that of the many other posters who have been through here in the last six months with stories of how the multiple in their life is driving them nuts, the one thing that really jumps out at me is the issue of accountability, both within these guy’s systems and in their interactions with others.
    • When a person finds out they are a multiple, there are various ways to respond to that. The way that some of us choose (like you and me for example) is to take charge and do something about it, as a matter of course. Learn all we can, get ourselves into treatment, actively work on our issues and take responsibility for getting better.
    • What it comes down to is that some multiples are not willing or able to accept that accountability. I really do not feel that we, multiples ourselves, have any need to treat them as poor disabled people or emotional basket-cases who simply cannot help themselves
    • very much resonate with your desire to help the man you know – it is nothing short of heart-wrenching to watch someone you love suffer, especially when some parts of them are so young, and not be able to help them.
    • But regardless of what we know, no amount of goodwill and help can install a sense of accountability in a person, multiple or not. I think of accountability as more than just knowing who did what and why, or who is to blame
    • These days now, I cry a lot, I cry when I see him and when he leaves, and I am not the least bit ashamed. These are my tears now, my sadness and pain and I own them like I own all of myself.
    • It usually comes out when he is playing outside, and it's getting worse every day! Yesterday he thought he was an astronaut and the day before that he thought he was a race car driver. I don't know what to do and i can't stand to see him like this. It breaks my heart. He switches personalities often and I need to get him help and possible really really heavy medication if I can. Grounding him doesn't work. He's personalities include detective, police man, firefighter, and power ranger. Oh God I don't know what to do!
    • i feel like i've lost everything i was when my relationship ended. all my dreams and visions for the future are never going to happen now, i have no goals. the stuff that made me happy before makes me cry now because it reminds me of him
    • i dont know how to pick up the pieces after something like this or get over the fear of being alone forever because of our DID. im scared i'm never gong to meet someone who treats me as good as he did again. i dont know what to do anymore. he was my last tie to the outside world.
    • i dont want to host anymore, but it hurts thinking that my time out had to end in such misery and no one wants to take on the body.
    • i dont know who i am anymore. everything i was feels so tied to him somehow
    • This is the first DID forum I've come on because I am still finding it hard to come to terms with the diagnosis. The words alters, host, system and fronting are still unfamiliar language to me. I have always called my experience a transient personality or parts. I experience my adult body as Susie but a younger Susan and a very angry seemingly teenage part that I don't really know about and am finding hard to accept. It's like I don't want it to be part of me because it's a bit vicious and says awful things.
    • There is some controversy over whether or not this disorder exists. But it seems that the majority of opinion is that it does. According to WebMD, “Other types of dissociative disorders defined in the DSM-IV, the main psychiatry manual used to classify mental illnesses, include dissociative amnesia, dissociative fugue, and depersonalization disorder.” DID seems to relate in many ways to these other dissociative disorders, giving it some foundation for legitimacy.
    • The person who has DID fully takes on the role of each identity. And each identity has its own memories. So it is possible for a therapist to actually be able to interact with the unique character as is each personality.
    • DID is a complex disorder that deeply impacts the lives of those who have it. From memory loss to split personalities, dissociative identity disorder is chronic. I can see how, with trauma being the cause, patients with DID would have bipolar disorder as well. Do you have both DID and bipolar disorder?
    • Ok, a little info the body is 28 years old and Male
    • Anyway we think there may be alters who we do not know about becouse we have been seeing signs like the ones we used when we first started to talk to the first host.We always thought that it was just us 12 alters but people have seen us walking in town and at the shopswhen we where in bed asleep
    • None of us have any membery of going out anywere at night so is there an alter we do not know about?
    • was wondering if other people's alters have different accents and also whether they can talk fluently. My youngest one, probably 8 -10 is quite slow at joining up words orally. My angry one speaks in a broad Liverpudlian accent - but I don't know why. Then my adult which I think is just me talks fluently, eloquently and with ease in my normal accent.
    • I never liked my name growing up. I never identified with it. I've thought about changing my name for a lot of my life.Has anyone here ever assumed a new legal identity?
    • I'd be symbolically cutting ties with my family and the person my family hurt. I'd be on the path I want to be, I'll be a doctor of neuroscience in a few years. No one will know me or my past.
    • Does this seem okay? Does anyone have experience? I'm not rushing, because I don't want to do this on a whim and regret it, though, I've accepted this name since I was six.
    • Its not just different personalities we become, its that we see every person different ways completely too. So many truths...goodness.
    • I am aware of my multiple personalities, shifting into them which is shifting my focus apon them, one at a time, and now two, four or more ill become simultaneously aware of being, being the conversation between them about the worlds in which they or I exist, the world I create by perceiving it as I go.
    • Hi everyone,   thanks for sharing your stories. i'm so happy i found this site and seem to be getting closer to discovering who i truly am.
    • i feel like i have two aspects of myself, one male and one female. when i feel male, i am attracted to women.
    • 've always wondered if i have dissociative identity disorder, which very well could be the case as i suspect i might have been sexually abused as a young child, although i'm not sure.
    • most of the time i daydream about getting married, always to a man, and having kids, etc. but i juts can't dismiss this odd sensation of a male entity in me, too. what should i do?
    • i just don't know what to do. maybe i do have DID and am not bigender? i do not suffer from time lapses.
    • Unfortunately right now I don't have many friends. Nor does my host and best friend, Aaron. People caste us aside calling us nut-jobs
    • Kota is Aarons girlfriend and Jordan is his brother.
    • Aaron spent almost two years in the Army. Now, whenever he talks to someone who is in the Military he begins to envy them.
    • Anyways, I am not sure what it is that I expect here, nor am I sure what Aaron expects, but I am glad we are here. Even if it is only a chance for us to vent. I always hope to make new friends. And I always would like to learn more about my self and those around me. So feel free to strike up a conversation with me. I am here all night.
    • I am currently being spoken to by a psychiatrist and he is try to work what is up with me. I have know for a long time my problems are dissociative issues.
    • I was just wandering if anyone else experienced a 'mild' for of DID where you don't have different alters that have different names and ages, but there are time where you are different and you cant explain it
    • I am always fully aware of who I am. I have never to my knowledge forgotten my name or date of birth, but I am very aware of these personality changes, I am very contradictory I also get told I am lieing sometimes by friends because I agreed with something completely opposite one day to the next.
    • I also suffer with severe depersonalization and at times derealisation and recently had an extended
    • I know this all sounds like a cold account of my experiences but I tend to detach. Please can someone shed someone shed some light on this if they have had any similar experiences?
    • I am not the creator or God, I create my worlds by perceiving them, as I go along. But also by responding to my perception, feeling them, observing it and me n us, the world and me within it, me that is multiple personalities or views.
    • Lately, if a subject i care for is focused on reguarding another person, i automatically become them at said time, feel what they felt that created the shift within them, so that i may verbalise it to clarify the aid i wish to extend to them, to help TAKE THAT PAIN AWAY.
    • I love to take pain away from others, or, resistance. I unfortunately bring pain apon people, and, I looooovvveee to take away their pain, and depending on how far back u step to look at a bigger picture, all pain doth take itself away. Thankyou.
    • Hi I'm one if Alex's alts Blake,I'm 16, and if your wondering, no I'm not exactly a "helpful"alt. When Alex was younger I took all the heat for him, and there was alot. I am depressed and I'm a goth, you would be to if you had gone thorough what I had been through. Iv tried to cut my self when I'm in control ( It's just the way I am so don't judge me) but every time, my sister Jennifer (another one of Alex's alts who is a girl) who is the protector alt, always takes over and stops me. So ya that's me darkness death all that goth stuff.
    • Hi guys. My friend thinks she mas multiple personality disorder, and here are the traits that she has:
    • - names all of them herself - turn into them as she pleases - her personalities do a convincing 'act' of her - they have their own rooms in her mind, and they can wish for whatever they want - one of them is evil and takes over parts of her body at times - one of them is british, and she still has a bit of a british accent once she comes out of it
    • Everyone she's told and myself do not believe she has it, but I really don't know. What do you think?
    • DID is the most controversial disorder within current mental health literature, and the reason is simple; they changed the name to include the word "Dissociative" which has a much broader meaning than MPD. You will either be for it, or against it; I will state that less than 25% of the mental health industry is for it. [1]
    • Its actually not that the majority don't believe multiple personalities can exist, that's just not it at all. In-fact prior statistics have demonstrated the belief that the industry believes of its existence, though is extremely rare. Its definition of words that is killing diagnosis by those broadening terms beyond their defined meanings, or watering down for a better term. [3]
    • So lets just round it out, that 99.99% of DID patients would have endured childhood abuse of an abnormally traumatic level, in that the brain has been incorrectly programmed so that the child has used these dissociative states from childhood through to adulthood as a coping mechanism.
    • One study has even attempted to relate a decrease in the Amygdala and Hippocampal region as being associated to DID, when in fact the same study references PTSD in the patients. PTSD is already medically proven to decrease both these areas, so I am unsure to the validity of this argument and attempting to associate it with DID exclusively. [4]
    • Here is the real kicker to the entire argument, fore or against. It seems the majority of mental health physicians agree that those with DID have multiple disorders, including Axis I & Axis II, being personality disorders; defined by the DSM IV. It is also clear, that a majority agree that Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and other personality based disorders are predominant within those with CPTSD. [1]
    • urther scepticism with DID comes due to the known behaviours associated with the diagnostic assessment itself, followed by specific symptoms of patient flamboyance about obtaining / having the diagnosis. It is very common that those with complex trauma lie. It comes part and parcel with the associated personality disorders often attached due to the childhood abuse and protection mechanisms the patient uses to protect themselves.
    • hey will make-up stories and / or manipulate, they will act, or fit themselves within guidelines for attention purposes. These are all well known, clinically proven aspects associated with childhood trauma. Its not the patients fault though, it all stops with the therapist.
    • Part and parcel of CPTSD is that under the worst cases, an abused child will carry with them and manifest their pretend friends, or dissociative states, to adulthood through alters. This is perfectly normal with CPTSD and dissociative states, though it doesn't make them a multiple personality that function independently of the host.
    • hat's 90% of the DID fore's being within private practice in the USA. Coincidence or not? No other country seems to have really changed in terms of DID diagnosis (MPD), being usually around the 0.01% - 0.1% range, all hit by the same global financial crisis as the USA.
    • The average private practitioner within the USA who diagnoses and treats a DID patient will obtain approximately $25,000 per annum from treating that one patient, with an average 5 year treatment period. Funnily enough, the same names tend to appear as private practitioners in fore studies, all averaging 5 or more DID patients at the one time. Coincidence again?
    • My roommate talks to himself constantly and uses different voices. He sounds very angry, like he's cursing something. My other roommate reports seeing him sleep in the hallway or bathroom. She says that he binge drinks, comes home late, then vomits frequently. When I asked him if he does these things, he says he doesn't remember.
    • I have asked him to let me know if there's something I can do to help him. However, my other roommate says that she saw his "to do" list, and it said things like doctor's appointment and refill prescriptions. She thinks he's already seeing a psychiatrist.
    • I suspect that he has DID. I would love to find out for sure why he behaves the way he does, but I don't want to offend him.
    • Does anyone have experience with Ambien and how it affects you and your system?
    • My T warned that it can cause dissociative symptoms in people who don't have dissociative disorders, but now she's not sure if we have more alters with whom we have no contact or with we have a very strange reaction to Ambien and we don't really know how to tell as we've always gotten up at night anyway, and Ambien doesn't seem to stop that - now the different is that no one remembers doing it.
    • eople who have seen Ambien us versus...not Ambien us can't tell the difference. It makes us nervous since we didn't know we were getting up and doing stuff on Ambien, and it was supposed to prevent us from getting up at night.
    • I would like to integrate. How does one go about finding what part one is best suitable to integrate with? I don't think I would do too good with the host as it is, but I still would rather not stay only myself and missing out on so much of our life and missing out on so much depth of emotion that I am now. How has others gone about this? Thank you for any help.
    • Over here we mainly think of each other as "Parts" which we use as a synonym for "Alter".The reason the term Alter kind of snagged for us is that it seems to imply that there is one primary owner of the body with a group of "others" being the alters. It seems to me to imply a hirarchy, which we were all intensely uncomfortable with.
    • I understand why my mind snagged on this - There are six more or less regular Fronter's here (four of whom Front very frequently) and with none of us feeling a superior ownership of the body it is easy to think of ourselves as a group of equally important Parts.
    • So I guess I just want to chew the fat here: What do you refer to yourself as? Do you think of yourself as an Alter, a Part, a "Host" who has Alters? Do you feel the body is yours rather than your Alters' ? Do you think the term you choose for yourself and your others affects the manner in which you interact with each other?
    • Hi, so I'm trying to talk to Nichole right now and she's being pretty receptive but she still doesn't believe it. Also I think we're maybe co-hosting? I don't know..
    • She's just right here and neither of us can really tell whos got the body and whos just really close
    • Just maybe someone could leave some encouragement here? She keeps saying she's imagining it because she wants to be sick. Oh and in case you're wondering, Nichole is the one who posted our other topic. She's really worried she's making this up. She worried when we had the eating disorder too because she says she created it by
    • copying actions she heard about on the 'my anorexia' type videos on youtube. Like cuting out meals and trying to stay below a calorie limit and then binging. I don't really know/can't tell about that stuff though. Seems like maybe theres more than one side to the whole ED thing. Can't say more, Nichole already thinks she's crazy soo...
    • Things are really blurry because Nicholes trying not to look at the words because she wants this to be all me. Not sure if it is all me or not. Sorry for typos, I can't see.
    • How would you guys feel about a Tinychat or other chat room for the people who post here? It would be a way to get to know everyone better and have people to talk to, not to mention a lot easier to use for quick chats. Any opinions?
    • *Trigger Warning - suicide. SI*
    • Alex's relationship with her significant other has all but ended and its left her completely suicidal and self destructive for days now. I don't know what to do or how to save her from herself. I'm afraid that even if she's not able to kill the body, she'll try to kill herself inside.
    • I can't live without her and I don't know how to save her.
    • So I know that these questions have been asked and answered before, and I know that I have asked them before, but I have a lot of questions that I am not sure that I received answers for. Or at least I don't understand the answers
    • First off, I don't entirely understand how you talk with an alter. I have known of my alters for quite some time now, but the only "talking" I have done with them is through paper or through friends. How do you Talk to an alter?
    • Second, what is the Inner world? I have read about it, but still dont understand quite what it is.
    • Hi guys! My friend, call her K, has 'DID'. I personally do not believe it, nor does anyone else, but who knows. She has about 7 of them (all whom she named), they have their own rooms in her mind and they can wish for anything they want in there, they have their weeks where they go 'crazy' (she started 'hallucinating'), and she can change in and out of them when she pleases.
    • he also sees these things called 'piskies' (pixies are evil) and she can see them above everyone's head, but only the ones that are 'sane'. Her best friend who's a dude also has DID, and her boyfriend too, and her friends with benefits.
    • What's going on!? And one of her personalities is evil, and takes over her hand and writes mean things to her, and takes over her mouth and says mean things.:/
    • To the Editor:
      On Labor Day, a fundraiser for infants with Dissociative Identity Disorder was held in Petersen Park in McHenry.
      Thanks to a handful of helpful volunteers, the event was a big success....
    • Hey I'm new to EP, but thats not why I need help.i tired posting the same thing on me profile but i dought it will get any feedback, so I'm going to post it here and see if I get any replies.
    • Ok so here's my problem, I have DID accept I don't know any of my different personalties and I read that knowing your other alters helps when you do switch, witch is very uncomfortable for me when I do,so could someone plz tell me how I can talk to my personalities!!!
    • (Note that I don't have any personality disorder)
    • For those of you who have a split identity, exactly how real is it? Do you have a central "main" personality you identify with and some "alters" you talk with or you're constantly alternating? And if it's the second, when and why you alternate?  Thanks :)
    • I haven't posted in quite a while :roll: But, has anyone noticed any relation to alters activity during times of chronic stress?
    • A little over a year ago is when alters first introduced themselves to me, and I began to communicate with them to an extent. This was during a time where I was doing an intense amount of emotional healing, I was recovering from a *very* stressful time in my life.
    • I just now realized that hey, none of them are here any more, and I am beginning to wonder if I just "made them up". Can anyone relate to this? In times of stress do they just want to be "normal" and not multiple? How can I let them know I want them to communicate with me?
    • If you ever want to familiarise yourself with Dissociative Identity Disorder without becoming completely terrified by it –distancing yourself from it even more as a result– I highly recommend watching United States of Tara
    • As I have never known anyone with this particular illness (as far as I know), I’m not the best judge on how accurate its portrayal of it is, but one major thing I have to give it credit for is how graspable they’ve made it for a wider, less informed audience.
    • Very rarely do you find a film or a TV show that doesn’t turn mental illness into something exclusively for serial-killers, competitive dancers and battered wives.
    • I really think there need to be more films that approach psychological disorders in a way that is accessible, that is light-hearted whilst also having a general dramatic overtone, as the theme itself is quite serious. It should also be humorous, not to belittle the topic, but to keep it real, and to avoid becoming a melodrama. To the point, United States of Tara does this brilliantly without having to be a brilliant show itself.
    • After months without a a word, I am again in contact with my psych. He suggested to make an intervention with another psychologist, a collega from him. So he would continue supporting me in the psych social issues: children, goverment, schools, etc and this other woman would start working with me with my DID issues.
    • I am afraid that these interventions will let loose a side of me that i try to repress.and then what happens when i come home (i have three teens).......
    • he says that the idea of this intervention is to contain!!! words! how can you contain memories, if you open a door, there will be a diarrea of memories...and i wonder if i can go through this.but it is an opportunity to be helped. any experiences over what to expect?
    • Night: When I came into the system, I was a wolf. I would open my eyes and be in school. I'd feel panicked. My senses were heightened. I had phantom feelings, like fur, tail, sharp claws and teeth, etc.
    • I'd want so badly to drop to all fours and run into the woods. Something usually stopped me though. Eventually, I learned how to behave human. So I suppose I evolved or devolved (depending on how you look at it) into otherkin. I'm often blended with my wolf self, but technically, he could take over fully. I'm the protector.
    • Anyone with animal or otherkin alts - what is your experience like?
    • I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts in regards to something that happened in our session today. Very disturbed and just wondering if its just me...
    • So our T knew we switched to a part that is harmful to the body and she just sat there staring saying nothing. After a few minutes she went over to the door and said if the host would like to come forward then we can stay otherwise she was like I need you to leave.
    • Like she knowingly put us in danger. It was a tough session up til this point and its like she had enough of us. Beyond frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • What T do you know would do this...I mean it isn't like our choice when we get triggered and it isn't like we can help it or control it. Like what the f***?????Are we off our rocker to think she is crazy for doing this to us?
    • I'm curious as to what it felt like before you knew you had DID/DDNOS. Have you known about your alters or heard their voices from a very young age? Did the host become aware at a young age? What did dissociation feel like when it first began?
    • Roughly a month ago I started listening to a recorded hypnosis/meditation by Paul McKenna. I'd been told by a psychologist friend that though the program was designed to help people lose weight, it was very good and improving self-esteem and getting rid of compulsions around food. I really enjoyed it, and felt so much happier and in control.
    • But now I'm wondering if that could have triggered something? I've felt more emotionally out-of-control than usual, and for the past week I've been in and out of something that might be dissociation.
    • I have 3 male alters, 2 of which regularly come out and want to be treated as guys.
    • However, both of them have issues with being in a female body, especially Michael.
    • I've tried a couple of things to make them more comfortable
    • Are there any other things that I could do to make them more comfortable in a female body when they're out?
    • The South St. Paul man accused of fatally shooting National Guard Staff Sgt. Brandon Horst in the head has 20 personalities and other mental illness, said his attorney.
                                                                                                                                              
      Aaron W. Allen, 25, should undergo a psychiatric evaluation to determine his mental competency, his attorney, Mike Carsten, said in Ramsey County District Court Tuesday.
    • The PTSD stems from sexual and emotional abuse Allen suffered as a child, Carsten said, adding that Allen’s mental health issues have been diagnosed in the last 15 years
    • Allen is charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit second-degree murder. Carsten said Allen doesn’t understand the charges against him.
                                                                                                                                              
      According to charges: Horst’s wife, Heather L. Horst, 24, told Allen and others that she was unhappy in her marriage and that her husband allegedly abused her.
    • Allen will be evaluated to assess his mental state at the time of the shooting and his ability to understand the current court proceedings. The results are expected to be presented at a Dec. 10 hearing.